I used to define justice as a way of protecting one’s
rights: the right to speech, the right to marry, and the right to believe in a
religion.
Aristotle’s view of justice, on the other hand, has taught me that
justice can be accomplished in two ways: justice can be either achieved
by settling a compromise between two or more people to create peace and harmony
within the society, or it can be achieved by committing a courageous act due to
one’s integrity and moral upbringing – with no rational thinking behind such
act.
Can "speaking out" be a form of a courageous behavior?
In Wal-mart one day, I was standing in the line to
get to the cashier when a five-year-old boy started to bawl on the floor. His
mother, looking very stressed, started smacking her son to quiet him down, but this only made him scream louder. These weren’t just
casual smacking - these were legit backhand slaps that would have left bruises
even on me.
So I stand there, and I contemplate my options. People
around me are already choosing to ignore it by looking the other way. I could
either (a), also ignore it and tell myself that saying anything wouldn’t really
stop her from doing the same thing again or (b), I
could intervene and ask her if such actions were truly necessary. I decided to
choose the latter, only because I was so disgusted that it would have been
completely immoral for me to not say anything and act like what she was doing
was normal. Middle school has raised me to understand that bystanding and
bullying are without a doubt injustice.
And this woman can argue that she was disciplining her son. She can also
claim that she was also raised that way, and it is only natural for her to raise her kids the same way. But in my
argument, this is how bystanders behave. It is shocking enough that domestic
violence happen in the curtains of people’s home, but it is even more shocking
that when such behavior that is expressed in public, people feel that it is right to
ignore it, rather than intervene, because it is not their business.
So this is what I ask: is speaking out only justice for
yourself?
When I was in high school, I played competitive soccer. In the late summer, before school started, we would have two practices a day. One practice was in the early morning and consisted of fitness, while the later practice consisted of more game like practices. Since I was older, I was able to drive myself to and from these practices. Thus, after a long day in the heat and lots of running, I found myself losing focus on my drive home. This caused me to almost miss my turn, and forced me to make a tight entrance into the lane next to me. While the lane change was tight, I had time to check and merge into the lane, in what I thought was a safe manner. As I continued my drive home, I noticed the women I had merged in front of following my every move. And as I pulled in to the grocery store parking lot to pick something up from my mom, the woman I had "cut off" pulled up next to me, exited her car and began to yell at me. I was 16 and she was yelling things like "If I hadn't seen you they would be scraping your body off the pavement right now" and "The only reason your alive right now is because of me." She continuously berated me as I stood in the parking lot sobbing for over 10 minutes. During those 10 minutes, tons of people passed by and saw and heard what this woman was doing, yet no one stopped to say anything. Perhaps, like you said, they didn’t feel it was their place. I would agree with you, also, that by not doing anything, however, you are too committing an injustice. You are actively involved in not righting a situation that is clearly wrong. I believe if someone had stopped and told the women she couldn’t speak to me like that or yell at someone to the point of tears in a grocery store parking lot, it would have been extremely courageous and also just. However, I would argue that being courageous and speaking up for someone, who can’t speak up for themselves, is not just an act of justice for yourself. I believe it is also an act of justice for the person who is having the unjust action done to them. If someone had stood up for me in that parking lot, it would have shown the women that she was being unjust, and while I was not personally being just, I would have gotten justice for the unjust action being done to me. Thus, in your situation you were courageous and committed a just action, and the boy got justice from an unjust act being done to him. In conclusion, I don’t think speaking up is just justice for yourself, but it is also justice for the person you are speaking up for.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting situation and I think it is almost analogous to USA and the Syrian conflict, at least in theory. Generating a state of peace between the two people would indeed be courageous and just, however. You're most likely to upset the woman and generate more attention. I see how you would want to intervene though because it puts you in an uncomfortable situation. However if you think you can bring peace and appropriate to the situation then it is bold / courageous to do something about it. But if you're making the immediate situation worse then a different approach might be necessary. You just have to be careful in a situation like that to not cause harm to yourself and be 100% sure your actions are necessary and just.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking out when the time is right against an injustice can be a just act if its is deserving of merit and not coerced. So speaking out when it is one's only outlet would not be considered virtuous because it is not voluntary.
ReplyDelete