Similarly to the
trolley problem posed by Mill, John Rawls conducted his own thought experiment.
In this thought experiment, Rawls stated that there were a bunch of people in
the original position (or the state of nature) existing behind a veil of ignorance
and these people had to decide what the laws of society would look like.
However, all of these people had no idea what their position in the new society
would be, i.e. they didn’t know their race, sex, socioeconomic standing,
nothing. Therefore, these people are stripped away of anything that would
influence or bias their idea of justice.
From this thought experiment, Rawl’s deduced that all social values and
resources to be distributed, will be distributed equally, unless an unequal
distribution is to everyone’s advantage. Furthermore, Rawl’s also believed that
the new society would be based on two principles: the liberty principle and the
difference principle.
I would first
like to touch on the liberty principle. The liberty principle states that each person
is to have an equal right to the most extensive liberty that is compatible to
the equal liberty of everyone else.
Rawl’s believed that the liberites people would decide on, behind the
veil of ignorance, included: political, freedom of speech and assembly, freedom
of thought, freedom of the person, freedom to hold property, and freedom from
arbitrary arrest. However, in
class Dr. J asked us if we thought there were any liberties that were left out
or we thought didn’t belong. While originally we couldn’t come up with any, we
eventually talked about the freedom to do what we want with our body. Dr. J
stated that one of the major criticisms of Rawl’s veil of ignorance is that we
can’t have an extensive list of basic liberties for some basic liberties exist
outside of the veil of ignorance. Therefore, do we think that the right to
choose what we can and cannot do with our body is a basic liberty? In addition,
do we think that it is a basic liberty that could have been decided behind the
veil of ignorance? As a
woman, I think that the right to do what I want with my body, should be a basic
liberty, and that no one should be allowed to tell me what I can and cannot do
with my body. However, I find it
hard to believe that behind the veil people would will this as a liberty. Thus,
it got me thinking are there any other “basic liberties” that couldn’t be
decided on until after the veil has been lifted? If so, why do we believe they
are basic liberties and why couldn’t they be decided on behind the veil?
Before I
conclude, I would like to briefly touch on Rawl’s second principle, the difference
principle. In it he states that: “social and economic inequalities are to be
arranged such that they are to the greatest benefit to the least advantaged and
that they are attached to the offices or positions of power that are open to
all under the conditions of equal access to opportunity. I find this principle particularly
relevant today, during our government shutdown over Obamacare. In an article from the huffingtonpost
the author states “The late liberal political
philosopher John Rawls argued that inequalities in society (such as those
related to wealth and income) are acceptable only to the extent that they have
some corresponding benefits for those who are less well off. If we use that understanding
of justice, the inequality in healthcare access in this country is patently
unjust because it hurts rather than helps the least advantaged.” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carlos-a-ball/what-the-healthcare-debac_b_431117.html) This got me thinking and made me wonder
what everyone else thought? Is Obamacare trying to correct the injustice that currently
exists in our society or is it unjust in itself?
I think Rawl’s thought experiment opens us up to
our own thought experiment and makes us really look at society today and makes
me wonder what Rawl’s would think of the direction the world is heading.
Just something to think on over fall break!!
Travel Safe :)
p.s. here’s another article I found particularly interesting
that discusses the veil of ignorance http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/the-veil-of-opulence/
I agree that it is a basic right for a person to choose what happens to their own body. I disagree, however, that behind the veil of ignorance, this right would not be seen. I do not think that the knowledge of the sexes is essential to the right to choose. Obviously it is essential when it comes to talking about abortion, but that is not the only choice that a person should have over their body. Take drugs for example. Does a person have the right to ingest what the choose? I would say that they do. Now I wouldn't recommend it but people still deserve to choose for themselves. Lets take it to a further extreme. Imagine a society where you are not allowed to ingest certain foods or play a sport or any of those things as they impact your body. Now this is something that could be imagined behind the vail of ignorance. Even without understanding of how the society will turn out and what each persons role would be in it a rational being could and would still will the right choose as a universal law.
ReplyDelete